500 internal server error on disable plug in attempt

I’ve just received this error after having deleted the blog and another page from a web site I’ve just started constructing, (the content of which hasn’t changed for some while). I was attempting to disable an SEO ‘rich snippets’ plug in and then this happened.

web site address is http://www.artoffairytales.com
and web site is still down - same error

Can someone look into this please ? my site has been down 4 days now, I can see other people have been answered days ago, I’m going to wait another couple of days and then raise another request. Something seems to have gone wrong. Thanks

Earlier today this was a 403 error, now shows:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@000webhost.io to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
(Not mine)

Can you open the public_html folder and delete the file .htaccess if you have one.

Hi, thanks for your reply

I’m not sure where I’d find the public_html folder. I can’t get into my wordpress site from the net.
I’ve installed Filezilla but not sure what to enter for server address,and port, although I have the FTP user name and password, and the database is set up.
Can you point me in the right direction please?
thanks
Mary

Once connected using FileZilla

public_html is the folder you upload your index.html file your script i.e. WordPress for public viewing.

Hostname: files.000webhost.com
Username: 000webhost username so in your case it should be artoffairtytales or whatever your 000webhostapp.com address starts with.
Password: the same password used for File Manager.

Thanks - you’re too fast ! I found the FTP address and deleted that file (I’m not sure how it found art of fairytales but it did from the ‘roadlubricant’ address I’ve got for the main site. Seems to be fine now.
Why was that file causing the problem, was it something I did?, just so’s I know for the future

thanks again
Mary

.htaccess contains permissions and different things and when installing plugins I’ve found that they add more lines to the .htaccess file so when uninstalling I think it is supposed to remove lines but sometimes forgets.
So when your site loads it goes to .htaccess and doesn’t find the plugin it just messes things up.

Probably a better explanation out there…

Makes sense. Thanks again…

Mary

1 Like

@MJFn I guess your issue is solved??